A Mixergy of the Best Productivity Systems: How to Get Shit Done
Written by James Wong. Apprx. read 2.5 min.
Let’s cut the bullshit. You want to be remarkable? You want people to recognize you? Well you’re going to have to produce results. You have to prove you’re working hard and making shit happen in the world.
Since Spring, I”ve been experimenting with different methods of being productive and getting stuff done and have taken systems from the best of the best and have compiled it in to a very effective system. It’s very simple, here you go.
The No Bullshit Get Stuff Done Method:
- Write a to-do list for tomorrow, tonight. This will set you up to have a clear idea of what you’re doing for the day so that you’re not farting around facebooking all day.
- Write the 3 most important tasks that need to get done for the day. This is like a universal rule. Giving yourself more things to do is too much and giving yourself less (unless its a big project) is lazy.
- Next to your 3 important tasks, write down “BY WHEN” you will have completed them. It’s important you give yourself an approximate amount of time it will take you to get your task done so you can work with velocity and intention. Giving yourself a “by when” will put you in the mindset of being proactive and conscious of your time. It also works really well with the Parkinson’s Law.
- Honor your word. Try your fucking best to make sure you complete your tasks by when you say you will. Be a powerful, don’t let circumstances be your excuse for getting it done. Treat your tasks with urgency and priority as if your girlfriend says she’s thinking about breaking up and wants to talk asap.
- Lastly, focus on your commitments not goals. Goals are set up for failure. Instead create a commitment and take the necessary steps that you think will help you reach your commitments. There is no perfect route to getting what you’re after. If you’re committed to loosing weight or gaining muscle, get into action of what you think will do that for you. Or if you’re committed to a specific career get into action of what you think will get you there. As long as you stay committed, you can never fail and you will always be contempt with what you’re doing.
For all the other little things that need to get done, DON’T DO THEM UNTIL YOU’VE FINISH ALL 3 TASKS. People whine and complain that they are so busy and don’t have enough time in the day to get things because they are busy running around doing stupid minuscule task that add no real value to your day. Being busy is a disguise for avoiding a few critically important but uncomfortable actions. People organize their room and backpack, reply to comments on Facebook, get lost on YouTube, or fuss with their iPhone settings and apps when they should be prioritizing. Here’s my advice, don’t do anything, and I mean ANYTHING, until your get you’re 3 tasks done. Going to class or work or to an appointment obviously don’t count, I mean things that can wait– checking Facebook, going to te grocery story, or playing FIFA 2k12.
Consider we value and pay for results. Someone whose remarkable constantly generates results.
Take care, love,
Stay Connected to Evolyfe